Friday 2 March 2012

Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTSi

A fine sunny morning, but as usual I banged into the Bajaj SC for the 7th time, to finally get a 10,000km Service Kit installed into my Pulsar 180 UG3, long overdue now. The air pump couldn't work due to power cut. Disappointed, I was about to go, when I thought that its the right time to test the new Pulsar 220, which is now carburetted, hence available in my city's Agency now, which is non-Probiking.

The first thing catching my attention was the brand new look to the biggest pulsar. Black Theme, Black Clipons, Black Grabrails, etc. Well, the only things standing out of the black theme, were the silver colored Silencer and Footpegs Attachment.

I set off with the showroom guy, and went towards Jaipur Road, the freeway - An obvious location to test "The Fastest Indian". The Tachometer was a new, all black with big & a bit italic fonts for rpm numbers. So, What's it? A Wild West Console like the TV advert?? Cheesy Anyways, The Rear View Mirrors were removed, so I couldn't see whether they were practical enough now or not. We know that the earlier model showed nothing but rider's arms in them!

Riding position was comfortable, a bit rear set, similar to DTS Fi. Vibrations? Well, The Clipons and Footpegs were completely devoid of vibrations upto 5 krpm. However, Tank vibrations seemed increased compared to earlier model. This maybe due to only 1 km on the odometer, and may improve later, although I seriously doubt that vibrations will improve. But seriously, I didn't expect tank vibrations to start as low as 3000 rpm but they did.

The low end did seem muffled & weak, almost same as my Pulsar 180. Beyond 2.5 krpm, it starts building serious torque, which continues increasing upto 7000 rpm. Mid Range was quite strong.

So, How did the Pulsar 220 become "The Fastest Indian"? Well, the power has been increased by about 1 PS, but that's not the reason. The actual reason is the longer 5th gear, which results in More Top Speed, More Mileage, Less Acceleration, and longer roll-on times. But, its not a problem. Pulsars were always known to be quite under-geared. Yes, even the RTR is, but that's an exception. Now, the gearing has moved towards normal, so the pulsar is still usable in city conditions, better than Karizma atleast I vouch. I said better than Karizma, because Karizma has that 3 close-2 far ratio, which never pleased me. P220 has normally spaced ratios though.

The speedometer of 220 DTSi displays 50 kmph, in top gear and 3000 rpm. Which is more speed at this rpm, than the R15, another indication of the overgearing. Initially, I shifted gears at 5000 rpm, but found it to be too much, for the still busy Jaipur Road. In 4th gear and 5000 rpm, its speed was around 65 kmph ... Nevertheless, you can still ride it at 34 kmph in 5th gear to claim mileage.

Those new MRF Tubeless Soft Tyres are damn Grippy. They like, Stick to the Road! I tried leaning, and the showroom guy expressed his fear, when I had leaned about, say 60% of its actual potential.
Recently, I spoke against the RTR, for having a big front disk, but non-grippy tyres, thus spoiling the brake's potential. Well, the P220's front disk of 260mm size and 230mm rear disk (from KBX) will go a long way, in unleashing the full potential of those Confidence Inspiring tyres. If only it were less heavy, and the rear brake had more bite.

Those new brakes need some serious running-in before they unleash their full potential. In new condition, they work probably at 40% of their potential, if you're lucky. I know its a new concept for Indian bikers, but the in foreign countries, it is a commonly known phenomenon. So, don't push it to speeds without getting the brakes worked out, and ready.
Both the front & rear were working with such a lack of sensitivity. And, Rear had to pressed damn hard specially, just to feel it working.

During the ride, I never experienced any trouble with Clutch & Gears. The gears shifted precisely with high refinement, reminding me of the YZF R15 I tested last year. But yes, that's just one aspect only.

In that test ride vehicle, the throttle play was very high & Fuel was in Reserve. The 2 kms test ride ended, with a smile on my face, inside the helmet of course! Smiley The Pulsar has changed a lot from what I knew about it. It is now much better than its earlier iterations, with such a good margin.

Rear suspension seems hard, and this enhances its handling. Front still dives under braking though. Even minor bumps on the road were directly felt (sometimes painfully so). This was in the softest settings So, Owners are advised to avoid B & C Class Roads, for comfort reasons. Directly compared to R15, it fades overall, as R15 gave a better level of handling with distinctly more comfort too. Riding position is more expanded than the RTR 180, and thus, were not troubling me (My height: 6'1").

I feel this bike can be a great tourer. My Reasons are the Longer 5th gear gives good cruising ability. Now, its a carburetted bike, which makes it easier to service at more places, unlike the DTS-Fi which was bound to Probikings. Clutch seems more refined, and results in lesser (almost no) False neutrals, and so on..

Clearly, anyone can guarantee that it will sell more than DTS-Fi. Reason being that it costs lesser, its' the fastest Indian Bike, has the reputation of the Pulsar brand, and quite a refined machine. Plus the biggest thing is that, its available at non Probikings too. With probikings limited to some 22 or so, this bike will reach a much larger market.

Earlier, when I tested RTR 180, I did not take snaps. Taking feedback for Admin & members, this time I took some Photos of the Machine I tested, using my Samsung INNOV8 Phone, having an 8 Mega-pixel Autofocus Camera, and a good one I feel:-->



As you can see above, the design is not an "F", as its mirrored on this side. Its just a graphic.







Comments invited, on Report and photos both ...

No comments:

Post a Comment